Sunday, November 11, 2012

the bouncy egg

Friday, November 9, 2012

The Transparent and Bouncy Egg Experiment

Hello.My name is Endy Kellici and i'm a student at "Turgut Ozal" College. My biology's teacher told us that we should do an experiment.WELL.......check out my work for more information...I guarantee that is really interesting....KEEP WATCHING ;)

 What do you think happens when you put an egg in vinegar?....Do you have any idea? If not,keep reading to find out how I made my bouncy eggs.

 

For this Experiment you'll need:

 2 glasses 
2 eggs
vinegar (enough to cover both eggs)
corn syrup
 
 

First,  put the eggs in one glass  Then pour the vinegar in the glass (enough to cover both eggs).Cover the glasses and put them somewhere away from the sun. They should be left in the vinegar for 1 day (24hours). 

After an hour or so the eggs started bubbling on the outside.The egg shell has calcium carbonate in it which reacts the same as vinegar and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

 The next step was to rinse the eggs in cold water to remove any shell and then bounce them. After 24 hours we observed the eggs to have totally lost their shell and both seemed to look soft and rubbery. They we're bouncy now.

Then,I place one egg in a hypertonic solution (corn syrup) and one egg in a hypotonic solution (water). 

And I let them 24 hours.

 

 

 After one day,I saw that the egg that was on corn syrup was smaller than the one in tap water.What happened?

Well,when the cell is in a Hypotonic solution,water enters the cell........And,when the cell is in a Hypertonic solution(corn syrup)  waters leaves the cell.

 

This was quite an experiment and we learned a lot.  I hope I have given you some tips so that your experiment is successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment